Saturday, January 2, 2016


YYC to YVR to TPA to BKK

The Whooping Crane has arrived. Perhaps not as glamorous as, “The Eagle has landed”, but a more accurate portrayal of reality. After two months of a hacking and coughing imitation of the Crane, we landed successfully and without incident in Bangkok half an hour ahead of schedule. We were disappointed that the promised 96 degree arrival temperature was only 94 degrees, but we have promised not to sweat the small things.

I need to begin our journal with praise and accolades to EVA airlines, which prior to our trip I, like most Calgarians, had never heard of. It is the national airlines of Taipei and flies mostly in SE Asia only touching down in the North American ports of Vancouver and LA. It was a joy! For an additional $600 round trip fee, we were upgraded to a business class environment with additional leg, arm, elbow and ass room that was almost considered privileged. 

Although I dreaded the 12+ hour flight from YVR to TPA (airlines lingo you know) it was fantastic. Not only did we have additional elbow room, the seats were engineered by God. When you pushed the lever to push your seat back, the back of the seat actually went down and the seat cushion slid forward causing you to assume an almost semi horizontal position with my legs stretched almost straight out. When reclined, I could not even touch that back seat of the chair directly in front of me. Truly, a miracle! 

As we departed, I consumed a half a sleeping pill, removed my shoes, reclined my seat and for the first time in my travel journeys, actually slept for about seven hours. I am sure this thrilling rendition of my sleeping pleasures totally mesmerizes my two readers, but the truth needs to be told. Air Canada Rouge does not have a monopoly on comfortable, quality air travel.

EVA’s accolades also extend to their food service offerings. Our breakfast menu comprised: croissant and jam, grapefruit and apple slices, strawberry yoghurt, sweet pickle, sliced salami, and white cheese, mushroom omelette, with roasted potatoes, tomato and spinach, dinner roll, coffee and water. The fried fish fillet dinner entree was also delicious. And not once were we offered the choice of the delightful dry pretzel mixture or the two desiccated cookies we have grown to expect on Air Canada. Did I mentioned all beverages including wine and cocktails were complimentary?

There is only one aspect of the EVA service that might draw criticism from some. I was rudely awakened in mid-snore when a stewardess “accidentally” spilled a small glass of water on my crotch while I was sleeping. My first reaction was to slap on my life jacket and try to recall the safety demonstration on its use, that I usually ignore, and head for a life raft. Before I could launch myself and my dripping loins toward the exit she brought a handful of towels and offered to soak up the damages. Darlene quickly responded that a mop up would be unnecessary and I would air dry over the remaining five hours of the flight. Party pooper!

After a series of small adventures and misadventures (too trivial to recount) we arrived at our rented apartment, surprised the grandkids at their school and had our first Bangkok supper surrounded by the madness of a local street food stall and hole in the wall restaurant street. An early bedtime on a precast concrete mattress completed our first day of 92.

No comments:

Post a Comment